• 1 Dollar 1973, KM# 82, Canada, Elizabeth II, 100th Anniversary of the Accession of Prince Edward Island
  • 1 Dollar 1973, KM# 82, Canada, Elizabeth II, 100th Anniversary of the Accession of Prince Edward Island
Description

Prince Edward Island (PEI) is a province of Canada and one of the three Maritime provinces. It is the smallest province of Canada in both land area and population, but the most densely populated. Part of the traditional lands of the Mi'kmaq, it became a British colony in the 1700s and was federated into Canada as a province in 1873. Its capital is Charlottetown.

The island has several informal names: "Garden of the Gulf", referring to the pastoral scenery and lush agricultural lands throughout the province; and "Birthplace of Confederation" or "Cradle of Confederation", referring to the Charlottetown Conference in 1864, although PEI did not join Confederation until 1873, when it became the seventh Canadian province.

Obverse

Second crowned portrait of HM Queen Elizabeth II facing right, wearing the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara.

The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland tiara was a wedding present in 1947 from her grandmother, Queen Mary, who received it as a gift from the Girls of Great Britain and Ireland in 1893 on the occasion of her marriage to the Duke of York, later George V. Made by E. Wolfe & Co., it was purchased from Garrard & Co. by a committee organised by Lady Eve Greville. In 1914, Mary adapted the tiara to take 13 diamonds in place of the large oriental pearls surmounting the tiara. At first, Elizabeth wore the tiara without its base and pearls but the base was reattached in 1969. The Girls of Great Britain and Ireland Tiara is one of Elizabeth's most recognisable pieces of jewellery due to its widespread use on British banknotes and coinage.

ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA means Elizabeth II, by the grace of God, Queen.

Engraver: Arnold Machin

ELIZABETH II D·G·REGINA

Reverse

Province House (Prince Edward Island), the country name and the facial value above, the bilingual (English and French) name of the province and the dates below.

Province House is where the Prince Edward Island Legislature, known as the Legislative Assembly of Prince Edward Island, has met since 1847. The building is located at the intersection of Richmond and Great George Streets in Charlottetown; it is Canada's second-oldest seat of government.

The cornerstone was laid in May 1843 and it commenced operation for the first time in January 1847. The entire structure was built for a cost of £10,000 and was designed by Isaac Smith. Smith was a self-trained architect from Yorkshire, who also designed the residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island. It was built by Island craftsmen during a time of prosperity for the colony. Its architectural lines include Greek and Roman influences, common to public buildings in North America built during this era.

Engravers: Terry Manning (TM), Walter Ott (WO)

CANADA DOLLAR
TM WO
1873 PRINCE 1973
EDWARD ISLAND
ÎLE DU PRINCE
ÉDOUARD

Edge

1 Dollar

2nd portrait

100th Anniversary of the Accession of Prince Edward Island

KM# 82 Schön# 77
Characteristics
Type Commemorative Issue (Circulating)
Material Nickel
Weight 15.62 g
Diameter 32.13 mm
Thickness 2.62 mm
Shape round
Alignment Medal
Mint
Royal Canadian Mint (RCM)

Related coins

Voyageur Dollar, 25th Anniversary of the Reign of King George V

Silver, 23.3 g, ⌀ 36.06 mm
Voyageur Dollar

Silver, 23.3276 g, ⌀ 36.06 mm
With IND IMP

Silver, 23.3276 g, ⌀ 36.06 mm