Depicts the coat of arms of Hungary surrounded by the country name, date below.
The arms were adopted after the independence of Hungary in 1919 and again on July 3, 1990. It is a vertically divided shield with a rounded base coming to a point. The left field contains eight horizontal bars of red and silver. The right field has a background of red and depicts a base of three green hills with a golden crown resting on the centre hill and a silver patriarchal cross issuing from the middle of the crown. The Holy Crown of Hungary rests on the top of the shield
The bars are taken from the arms of the first Hungarian royal house, the Árpáds. The silver stripes represent four rivers: Duna (Danube), Tisza, Dráva, and Száva. The double cross has Byzantine origins, it came in Hungary in 1190. The triple mound dates from the 14th century, representing the mountain ranges Tátra, Mátra and Fátra.
The Holy Crown of Hungary (also known as the Crown of Saint Stephen) was the coronation crown used by the Kingdom of Hungary for most of its existence; kings have been crowned with it since the twelfth century. No king of Hungary was regarded as having been truly legitimate without being crowned with it. In the history of Hungary, more than fifty kings were crowned with it, up to the last, Charles IV, in 1916. The cross is attached to the crown in a rough manner, rising from the midriff of Christ in the central enamel plaque at the top of the crown. The cross was knocked crooked in the 17th century when the crown was damaged, possibly by the top of the iron chest housing the insignia being hastily closed without the crown having been placed in it properly. The cross has since been left in this slanted position, and is now always depicted as such.
Engraver: István Bartos