Description

The Cairo International Stadium, formerly known as Nasser Stadium, is an Olympic-standard, multi-use stadium with an all-seated capacity of 75,000. The architect of the stadium is the German Werner March, who had built from 1934 to 1936 the Olympic Stadium in Berlin. The engineering and construction supervision work of the stadium was performed by ACE Moharram Bakhoum. Before becoming an all seater stadium, it had the ability to hold over 100,000 spectators, reaching a record of 120,000. It is the foremost Olympic-standard facility befitting the role of Cairo, Egypt as the centre of events in the region. It is also the 69th largest stadium in the world. Located in Nasr City; a suburb northeast of Cairo, it was completed in 1960 and was inaugurated by President Gamal Abd El Nasser on 23 July that year, the eighth anniversary of the Egyptian Revolution of 1952. Zamalek SC and Al Ahly use the stadium for most of their home games.

Obverse

Depicts a general view of Cairo Stadium between dates (1960 and 1985), the inscriptions "International Cairo Stadium" in Arabic above and in English below.

ستاد القاهرة الدولي
١٩٦٠
١٩٨٥
International Cairo Stadium

Reverse

Denomination in mirrored stylized flowers, dates (Hegira and Gregorian), calligraphic art state name "Arab Republic of Egypt" in the centre with a torch (above) and Olympic emblem (below), the inscription "Silver Jubilee" below.

خمسة جنيهات
جمهورية مصر العربية
١٤٠٥ - ١٩٨٥
اليوبيل الفضى

Edge
Characteristics
Type Commemorative Issue (Non-circulating)
Material Gold
Fineness 0.875
Weight 26 g
Diameter 33 mm
Thickness -
Shape round
Alignment Medal
Mint
Cairo Mint

Related coins