• 2½ Escudos 1953-1974, KM# 77, Portuguese Angola (Portuguese West Africa)
  • 2½ Escudos 1953-1974, KM# 77, Portuguese Angola (Portuguese West Africa)
Description

Portuguese Angola or Portuguese West Africa (1575–1975) refers to Angola during the historic period when it was a territory under Portuguese rule in southwestern Africa. Initially ruling along the coast and engaging in military conflicts with the Kingdom of Kongo, in the 18th century Portugal gradually managed to colonise the interior highlands, however full control of the entire territory was not achieved until the beginning of the 20th century, when agreements with other European powers during the Scramble for Africa fixed the colony's interior borders. In 1975, Portuguese Angola became the independent People's Republic of Angola.

Obverse

Depicts the coat of arms (1951-1975), name of the colony above, value below.

The coats of arms of the Portuguese colonies were introduced in 1935. All arms were of the same model: divided vertically in such a way that two sub-shields are formed. The dexter was white with five small blue shields each bearing five white discs (i.e. Cinco Quinas, Five Quinas representing the motherland). The sinister represented the colony. The colonial sub-shields for Angola depicted a golden elephant above a golden zebra. In the base green and white waves to indicate the overseas location. To complete the badge, the arms were set upon a golden armillary sphere with a golden mural crown. The crown had 5 apparent towers in each tower charged an armillary sphere and in each space between towers charged Christ’s cross.

ANGOLA
2$50

Reverse

Depicts Portuguese escutcheon on upon a golden armillary sphere, name of country above, date below.

The coat of arms of Portugal is popularly referred as the Cinco Quinas (Five Quinas) or simply the Quinas (a quina being each of the five escutcheons in form of a cross with five bezants of the Portuguese shield). In the late 14th century, the number of bezants was fixed in five. Late explanations interpret them as the five wounds of Jesus Christ. The shield resting in front is composed of seven golden castles, which represent the Moorish castles conquered during the Reconquista. Behind the shield is an armillary sphere, which was a navigational instrument, and symbolizes Portugal's importance during the Age of Discovery.

REPÚBLICA·PORTUGUESA
1968

Edge
Characteristics
Material Cupronickel
Weight 3.46 g
Diameter 20 mm
Thickness 1.46 mm
Shape round
Alignment Coin
Mint
Portuguese Mint and Official Printing Office (INCM)

Related coins

Stainless Steel, 6.15 g, ⌀ 24.65 mm
Buddha Jayanthi 2500th Anniversary

Silver, 28.26 g, ⌀ 38.74 mm

Aluminium, 2.23 g, ⌀ 27 mm