• 5 Mark 1987, KM# 116, Germany, Democratic Republic (DDR), 750th Anniversary of Berlin, Alexanderplatz
  • 5 Mark 1987, KM# 116, Germany, Democratic Republic (DDR), 750th Anniversary of Berlin, Alexanderplatz
Description

Berlin is the capital and the largest city of Germany, as well as one of its 16 constituent states. First documented in the 13th century and situated at the crossing of two important historic trade routes, Berlin became the capital of the Margraviate of Brandenburg (1417–1701), the Kingdom of Prussia (1701–1918), the German Empire (1871–1918), the Weimar Republic (1919–1933) and the Third Reich (1933–1945). After World War II and its subsequent occupation by the victorious countries, the city was divided; East Berlin was declared capital of East Germany, while West Berlin became a de facto West German exclave, surrounded by the Berlin Wall (1961–1989) and East German territory. Following German reunification in 1990, Berlin once again became the capital of all of Germany.

Alexanderplatz is a large public square and transport hub in the central Mitte district of Berlin, near the Fernsehturm. Berliners often call it simply Alex, referring to a larger neighbourhood stretching from Mollstraße in the northeast to Spandauer Straße and the Rotes Rathaus in the southwest.

Obverse

Depicts a national emblem of the German Democratic Republic (DDR), surrounded by the country name (above), denomination and date (below). Mintmark of the Berlin State Mint (A) is between country name and the emblem.

The national emblem of the German Democratic Republic featured a hammer and a compass (drawing tool), surrounded by a ring of rye. The hammer represented the workers in the factories. The compass represented the intelligentsia, and the ring of rye the farmers.

DEUTSCHE DEMOKRATISCHE REPUBLIK
A
1987 5 MARK

Reverse

Depicts few people near the Urania World Clock surrounded by the inscription.

The World Clock (German: Weltzeituhr), also known as the Urania World Clock is a large turret-style sixteen-ton world clock opened to the public on 30 September 1969 and located in the public square of Alexanderplatz in Mitte, Berlin.

By reading the markings on its metal rotunda, the current time in 148 major cities from around the world can be determined. In 1997, the cities of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem were added to the clock during a necessary repair to the mechanism - when it was erected, the cities were omitted due to the political sensibilities surrounding the nation of Israel of the time. Two cities which had changed their names since the clock was erected were also changed: Leningrad (to Saint Petersburg) and Alma Ata (to Almaty).

Engraver: Heinz Rodewald

BERLIN • ALEXANDERPLATZ
11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
WELTZITUHR
R

Edge

* 5 MARK * 5 MARK * 5 MARK * 5 MARK

Characteristics
Type Commemorative Issue (Circulating)
Material Copper Nickel Zinc
Weight 9.6 g
Diameter 29 mm
Thickness 2.07 mm
Shape round
Alignment -
Mint
Berlin State Mint (A)

Related coins

Rotes Rathaus

750th Anniversary of Berlin

Copper Nickel Zinc, 9.6 g, ⌀ 29 mm