• 5 Mark 1987, KM# 114, Germany, Democratic Republic (DDR), 750th Anniversary of Berlin, Nikolaiviertel
  • 5 Mark 1987, KM# 114, Germany, Democratic Republic (DDR), 750th Anniversary of Berlin, Nikolaiviertel
Description

Berlin is the capital and the largest city of Germany, as well as one of its 16 constituent states. First documented in the 13th century and situated at the crossing of two important historic trade routes, Berlin became the capital of the Margraviate of Brandenburg (1417–1701), the Kingdom of Prussia (1701–1918), the German Empire (1871–1918), the Weimar Republic (1919–1933) and the Third Reich (1933–1945). After World War II and its subsequent occupation by the victorious countries, the city was divided; East Berlin was declared capital of East Germany, while West Berlin became a de facto West German exclave, surrounded by the Berlin Wall (1961–1989) and East German territory. Following German reunification in 1990, Berlin once again became the capital of all of Germany.

Founded about 1200, the Nikolaiviertel (Nicholas' Quarter) of Alt-Berlin, together with the neighbouring settlement of Cölln, is the reconstructed historical heart of the German capital Berlin. It is located in Mitte locality (in the homonymous district), five minutes away from Alexanderplatz.

Obverse

Depicts a national emblem of the German Democratic Republic (DDR), surrounded by the country name (above), denomination and date (below). Mintmark of the Berlin State Mint (A) is between country name and the emblem.

The national emblem of the German Democratic Republic featured a hammer and a compass (drawing tool), surrounded by a ring of rye. The hammer represented the workers in the factories. The compass represented the intelligentsia, and the ring of rye the farmers.

DEUTSCHE DEMOKRATISCHE REPUBLIK
A
1987 5 MARK

Reverse

Depicts the Nikolaiviertel district with St. Nicholas' Church.

The St. Nikolai-Kirche, (Nikolaikirche or St. Nicholas' Church) is the church located in the eastern part of central Berlin, the borough of Mitte. The area around the church, bounded by Spandauer Straße, Rathausstraße, the River Spree and Mühlendamm, is known as the Nikolaiviertel 'Nicholas quarter', and is an area of restored mediaeval buildings (in some cases recent imitations). The church was built between 1220 and 1230, and is thus, along with the Church of Our Lady at Alexanderplatz not far away, the oldest church in Berlin.

Engraver: Volker Beier

NIKOLAI VIERTEL
BERLIN

Edge

* 5 MARK * 5 MARK * 5 MARK * 5 MARK

Characteristics
Type Commemorative Issue (Circulating)
Material Copper Nickel Zinc
Weight 9.6 g
Diameter 29 mm
Thickness 2.07 mm
Shape round
Alignment Medal
Mint
Berlin State Mint (A)

Related coins

Rotes Rathaus

750th Anniversary of Berlin

Copper Nickel Zinc, 9.6 g, ⌀ 29 mm
Alexanderplatz

750th Anniversary of Berlin

Copper Nickel Zinc, 9.6 g, ⌀ 29 mm

750th Anniversary of Berlin

Silver, 15.5 g, ⌀ 32.5 mm