• 5 Mark 1987, KM# 115, Germany, Democratic Republic (DDR), 750th Anniversary of Berlin, Rotes Rathaus
  • 5 Mark 1987, KM# 115, Germany, Democratic Republic (DDR), 750th Anniversary of Berlin, Rotes Rathaus
Description

Berlin is the capital and the largest city of Germany, as well as one of its 16 constituent states. First documented in the 13th century and situated at the crossing of two important historic trade routes, Berlin became the capital of the Margraviate of Brandenburg (1417–1701), the Kingdom of Prussia (1701–1918), the German Empire (1871–1918), the Weimar Republic (1919–1933) and the Third Reich (1933–1945). After World War II and its subsequent occupation by the victorious countries, the city was divided; East Berlin was declared capital of East Germany, while West Berlin became a de facto West German exclave, surrounded by the Berlin Wall (1961–1989) and East German territory. Following German reunification in 1990, Berlin once again became the capital of all of Germany.

The Rotes Rathaus (German: Red City Hall) is the town hall of Berlin, located in the Mitte district on Rathausstraße near Alexanderplatz. It is the home to the governing mayor and the government (the Senate of Berlin) of the Federal state of Berlin. The name of the landmark building dates from the facade design with red clinker bricks.

Obverse

Depicts a national emblem of the German Democratic Republic (DDR), surrounded by the country name (above), denomination and date (below). Mintmark of the Berlin State Mint (A) is between country name and the emblem.

The national emblem of the German Democratic Republic featured a hammer and a compass (drawing tool), surrounded by a ring of rye. The hammer represented the workers in the factories. The compass represented the intelligentsia, and the ring of rye the farmers.

DEUTSCHE DEMOKRATISCHE REPUBLIK
A
1987 5 MARK

Reverse

Depicts the Rotes Rathaus, surrounded by the inscriptions.

The Rathaus was built between 1861 and 1869 in the style of the Northern Italy High Renaissance by Hermann Friedrich Waesemann. It was modelled on the Old Town Hall of Thorn (today Toruń, Poland), while the architecture of the tower is reminiscent of the cathedral tower of Notre-Dame de Laon in France. It replaced several individual buildings dating from the Middle Ages and now occupies an entire city block.

The building was heavily damaged by Allied bombing in World War II and rebuilt to the original plans between 1951 and 1956. The Neues Stadthaus, which survived the bombing and had formerly been the head office of Berlin's municipal fire insurance Feuersozietät in Parochialstraße served as the temporary city hall for the post-war city government for all the sectors of Berlin until September 1948. Following that time, it housed only those of the Soviet sector. The reconstructed Rotes Rathaus, then located in the Soviet sector, served as the town hall of East Berlin, while the Rathaus Schöneberg was the town hall of West Berlin. After German reunification, the administration of reunified Berlin officially moved into the Rotes Rathaus on 1 October 1991.

Engraver: Heinz Hoyer

ROTES RATHAUS
BERLIN

Edge

* 5 MARK * 5 MARK * 5 MARK * 5 MARK

Characteristics
Type Commemorative Issue (Circulating)
Material Copper Nickel Zinc
Weight 9.6 g
Diameter 29 mm
Thickness 2.07 mm
Shape round
Alignment Medal
Mint
Berlin State Mint (A)

Related coins

Alexanderplatz

750th Anniversary of Berlin

Copper Nickel Zinc, 9.6 g, ⌀ 29 mm