• 5 Mark 1986, KM# 111, Germany, Democratic Republic (DDR), New Palace of Potsdam
  • 5 Mark 1986, KM# 111, Germany, Democratic Republic (DDR), New Palace of Potsdam
Description

The New Palace (German: Neues Palais) is a palace situated on the western side of the Sanssouci park in Potsdam, Germany. The building was begun in 1763, after the end of the Seven Years' War, under King Friedrich II (Frederick the Great) and was completed in 1769. It is considered to be the last great Prussian Baroque palace.

The building of the palace commenced at the end of the Seven Years' War, to celebrate Prussia’s success. For the King, the New Palace was not a principal residence, but a display for the reception of important royals and dignitaries. Of the over 200 rooms, four principal gathering rooms and a theater were available for royal functions, balls and state occasions.

Obverse

Depicts a national emblem of the German Democratic Republic (DDR), surrounded by the country name (above), denomination and date (below). Mintmark of the Berlin State Mint (A) is between country name and the emblem.

The national emblem of the German Democratic Republic featured a hammer and a compass (drawing tool), surrounded by a ring of rye. The hammer represented the workers in the factories. The compass represented the intelligentsia, and the ring of rye the farmers.

DEUTSCHE DEMOKRATISCHE REPUBLIK
A
1986 5 MARK

Reverse

Depicts the New Palace of Potsdam.

While Frederician Rococo was established at Sanssouci, Frederick the Great had the New Palace built in varying forms of Baroque architecture and decoration, with some deviations. The King preferred Rococo and Baroque to the Neoclassical style that was already taking hold of Europe at the time as the preference of many monarchs. With 220 metre east and west façades, the centre portion of the palace was crowned with an enormous dome, at the top of which were placed the Three Graces supporting the Prussian royal crown. Additionally, the north and south auxiliary wings are crowned with domes surmounted by gilded eagles. Over 400 sandstone statues and figures adorn the palace and auxiliary buildings, created by many notable sculptors, namely Johann Peter Benckert, Johann Matthias Gottlieb Heymüller, the brothers Johann David and Johann Lorenz Räntz and others.

Engraver: Heinz Rodewald (R)

NEUES PALAIS
R
POSTDAM

Edge

* 5 MARK * 5 MARK * 5 MARK * 5 MARK

5 Mark

New Palace of Potsdam

KM# 111
Characteristics
Type Commemorative Issue (Circulating)
Material Copper Nickel Zinc
Weight 9.6 g
Diameter 29 mm
Thickness 2.07 mm
Shape round
Alignment Medal
Mint
Berlin State Mint (A)

Related coins

75th Anniversary of Death of Johannes Brahms

Cupronickel, 9.7 g, ⌀ 29 mm
100th Anniversary of Birth of Albert Einstein

Copper Nickel Zinc, 12.2 g, ⌀ 29 mm
Sanssouci Palace of Potsdam

Copper Nickel Zinc, 9.6 g, ⌀ 29 mm